— Possible indications of faulty catalytic converter:
• Reduced power
• Stalling at idle
• Rattles in the exhaust system
• High exhaust emissions measured at the tailpipe.
— To visually check catalytic converter, remove muffler and check for evidence of physical damage inside converter.
— Alternatively, tap converter with a block of wood.
• If rattling noise is heard from inside, replace converter.
— Test efficiency of catalytic converter:
• Run engine until it and converter are at operating temperature.
• Using infrared thermometer, measure temperature differential at inlet and outlet of converter.
• If temperature difference is not more than approximately 55°C (100°F) replace converter.
The catalytic converter operates at a very high temperature and can cause severe burns.
• Muffler to catalytic converter (M8) 25 Nm (18 ft-lb)
Was this article helpful?
The History of Porsche Cars through its generational changes. A must have ebook for any Porsche fanatic, this ebook is a reference book for Porsche enthusiasts. Discover all there is to know about the greatest Porsches ever made. All models are fully described and illustrated providing a definitive production history plus an accurate guide to original specs and equipment.