— Disconnect negative (-) battery cable.
— Working inside luggage compartment, detach upper steering column universal as described earlier.
— Working in passenger compartment, remove steering wheel and steering column switches as described earlier.
^ Working under dashboard, remove knee trim panel screw (arrow) located above luggage compartment lid release handle.
^ Remove left outer A/C vent from dash.
• Remove screw (A) from trim panel on left side of dash.
• While pulling on A/C vent, release locking tabs (arrows) at top and bottom of vent with a small screwdriver.
Remove knee trim:
• Working through A/C vent opening, remove trim mounting nut and washer from left stud (A).
• Working just below heater controls in center of dashboard, remove trim mounting nut and washer from right stud (B).
— Use a small screwdriver to carefully pry tachometer out of dashboard.
• Disconnect wiring from back of tachometer while removing.
Use a 1/8 in. bit in an angle drill to drill holes in each steering column shearbolt located behind tachometer.
^ Loosen lock nut and alien bolt (A) holding ignition lock arm in column support.
— Drill 1/8 in. hole in shearbolt (B) located above driver's knees.
— Use an easy-out to remove all 3 shearbolts.
— Remove column by sliding it to right to release steering lock.
— Installation is reverse of removal.
Always use shearbolts to attach steering lock to steering col-
• Steering shaft universal joint pinch bolt . 20 Nm (15 ft-lb)
Was this article helpful?
The History of Porsche Cars through its generational changes. A must have ebook for any Porsche fanatic, this ebook is a reference book for Porsche enthusiasts. Discover all there is to know about the greatest Porsches ever made. All models are fully described and illustrated providing a definitive production history plus an accurate guide to original specs and equipment.