1. Take circlip out of groove.
2. Remove circlip and end cover as well as piston for
2nd gear brake by applying light taps on base of cover with a rubber hammer.
1. Slide piston for 1st and reverse gear brake on to pump housing and install both together. Thin rib (arrow) faces up. Place pump shaft in drive dog and turn pump. It should be possible to turn pump by hand without resistance.
2. Install shell for 1st and reverse gear brake in correct position (see arrow).
Shell length distance "a" = 94.9 mm.
3. Place springs on spring retainer and install spring retainer with springs in case from underneath. Tighten bolts.
4. Check function of 1st and reverse gear brake. Apply compressed air in pressure bore (arrow). Piston should compress the springs. Without compressed air the piston should return to starting position.
5. Install piston and end cover for 2nd gear brake and mount circlip. Press down piston and end cover with a suitable tool.
38 - 16 Disassembling and Assembling Automatic Transmission (Type 087 N)
6. Install clutches. Assemble direct and reverse clutch with forward clutch outside of transmission and then slide clutch on to neck of oil pump with case opening facing down at an angle. Swing case to have opening facing up again.
7. Check function of 2nd gear brake by applying compressed air in the pressure bore (arrow). Piston should compress the brake band (D + R clutch). Piston must return to its starting position without compressed air.
8. Install reverse planetary gear set. Then install corrugated washer and plates.
9. Install pre-assembled one-way clutch by turning planetary gear set in direction of arrow and pressing in one-way clutch at same time.
Printed in Germany - I, 1982 Disassembling and Assembling Automatic Transmission 38 - 17
It should not be possible to turn planetary gear set anticlockwise.
10. Install retaining wedge for one-way clutch, pressing in with end of hammer handle if necessary, and mount circlip with opening opposite the retaining wedge.
12. Adjust 2nd gear brake. Tighten adjusting screw to initial torque of 10 Nm (7 ft Ib). loosen again and tighten finally to 5 Nm (3.6 ft lb). Now turn adjusting screw exactly two turns from this position and rock screw.
Only adjust brake band with transmission positioned horizontally, since otherwise brake band would jam.
Parts have been assembled correctly, if groove for circlip is accessible.
11. Recheck function of 1 st and reverse gear brake by applying compressed air (see point 4).
38 - 18 Disassembling and Assembling Automatic Transmission (Type 087 N)
Was this article helpful?