1. Clamp differential in a vise fitted with soft jaws and unscrew ring gear bolts.
2. Drive ring gear off of housing.
3. Pull off inner races for large and small tapered roller bearings. Use US 1078 or a standard extractor (e. g. Kukko 44/2) and Special Tool VW 295 a.
1. Heat inner races for small and large tapered roller bearings to about 100 °C (210 °F). Install on differential and press on to correct position. Use Special Tool VW 40 - 21.
2. Install differential gears. Install large differential gears with correct shims. Install small differential gears with 180°offset (hold thrust washer in place with a little grease) and swing in. Align thrust washers with shaft bore. drive in shaft carefully and lock with a split pin.
3. Heat ring gear to about 120 °C (250 °F) and install. Align bolt holes with each other with centering pins.
A - Centering pins
4. Tighten ring gear with new bolts and tighten bolts to specified torque crosswise.
Was this article helpful?