When replacing tapered roller bearings, check installed position of pinion shaft (actual location) before removing the gear carrier.
1. Press off inner race of tapered roller bearing with 1st gear. Use Special Tool VW 457.
2. Press off sliding sleeve and synchronizer with 2nd gear. Use Special Tool VW 457.
4. Press off 4th gear with a separator, e. g. Kukko 15 -17 Gr. 1.
1. Heat inner race for tapered roller bearing to about 120 °C (250 °F) and press on.
5. Press off inner race for tapered roller bearing with a separator, e. g. Kukko 15 - 17 Gr. 1.
A - Separator
2. Press on 4th gear, whereby collar faces 3rd gear.
A - Separator
It is essential to keep to the following procedures, since the press-fit gear takes the engine torque.
Clean gear and shaft with a greaseless cleaning solution to remove all oil and grease, and heat gear on a hot plate to about 120 °C (250 °F).
Press on gear and press again after transfer of heat
3. Adjust axial play on 4th gear (gear must be cold and pressed against stop). Measure and install the thickest possible circlip. Axial play may be max. 0.02 mm.
Perform work very conscientiously, since otherwise service life of tapered roller bearings could be impaired.
4. Press on 3rd gear with collar facing 2nd gear. N o t e
Clean gear and shaft with a greaseless cleaning solution to remove all oil and grease, and heat gear on a hot plate to approx. 120 °C (250 °F).
Was this article helpful?