Remove seal as shown in picture.
Drive in seal with VW 192 or US 4450.
Extreme care is required for installation of seal. The material is very soft and consequently easy to damage. Never let seal come in contact with gasoline or cleaning solutions.
ADJUSTING AXIAL PLAY OF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION / FINAL DRIVE
Axial play "y" between automatic transmission and final drive has to be adjusted to limit the axial travel of the ring gear.
1. Measure distance "a" on final drive. Place straight-edge on case and measure distance to bushing for seals.
case sealing surface to bushing for seals.
b - Automatic transmission:
bearing collar for shim to intermediate plate with gasket.
1 - Final drive
2 - Automatic transmission
4 - Gaskets
5 - Intermediate plate
6 - Drive pinion
2. Measure distance from straight-edge to case sealing surface.
Straight-edge to bushing Straight-edge to sealing surface Case distance "a" =
3. Measure distance "b" on automatic transmission. Place straight-edge on case and measure distance to gasket.
Distance "a" Distance "b" Distance "x"
4. Measure distance from straight-edge to bearing collar for shim.
5. Select shim size according to table.
Distance "x" (mm)
Was this article helpful?