In the case of assembly work or the replacement of parts which may affect the height of the vehicle, a complete suspension alignment check (vehicle height and wheel alignment) must be carried out.
Dismantling and assembling front spring strut
Dismantling spring strut
Compress coil spring using a coil spring compressor tool (e.g. a Klann tool) until the piston rod is unloaded.
To loosen the bolting between piston rod and spring strut mount, hold a 7 mm Allen wrench against the piston rod. Caution: Do not under any circumstances use a power impact wrench to loosen or tighten the fastening nut.
Remove all parts from the piston rod. Note
When installing new parts, follow the allocation given in the spares catalog.
Assembling spring strut
- Use new fastening nut for attaching piston rod to spring strut mount.
If necessary (when replacing the shock absorber), set the adjustment nut, item 8, to the same position as on the old shock absorber. (Transfer position to new shock absorber).
Lubricate adjustment nut thread with Optimoly TA.
Shock absorbers of different makes must not be installed on the same axle.
In the case of progressive coil springs the tighter winding must point towards the spring strut mount.
It is recommended that coil springs always be replaced in pairs.
Follow the allocation given in the spares catalog.
To tighten the fastening nut on the spring strut mount, use a half-open socket wrench such as a Hazet
This ensures precise compliance with the specified tightening torque of 80 Nm (59 ftlb). In addition, it is possible to hold a bent 7 mm Allen wrench against the piston rod.
Caution: Do not under any circumstances use a power impact wrench to tighten the fastening nut.
40 Carrera RS - Disassembling and assembling spring strut, front
Remove plug no. 1 with the vehicle lifted before removing the spring strut.
When replacing the vibration damper or the coil spring, do not separate the upper part and the lower part of the bracket, nos. 18 and 16, respectively, but remove the entire assembly no. 4.
Disasembling spring strut
- To separate the connection - piston rod to spring strut mount - use a 7 mm Allen key for locking the piston rod.
Important: Do not use an impact screwdriver to slacken and tighten fastening nut no. 2.
- To remove fastening nut no. 2 completely, preload coil spring using a spring clamp until there is no more load on the pistion rod.
In some cases, it is possible to preload the spring coil manually (dependent on position of adjusting nut no. 11).
- Remove all parts from the piston rod.
Assembling spring strut
- Observe parts assignment according to the spare parts catalog when installing new parts.
- Replace nut no. 2 fastening the piston rod to the spring strut mount.
- If necessary (when replacing the vibration damper), set adjusting nut no. 11 to the same position as on the old vibration damper (transferring adjusting dimension to the new damper) to prevent nut no. 12 from working loose (locking). Apply Optimoly TA to the thread of the
The narrow winding of the spring coil must face the spring strut mount.
- It is recommended to replace the coil Observe assignment in accordance with
- If necessary (when replacing the mount), fit parts no. 13 /14 /15 to mount no. 16 (chart 2345-40 on p. 40-23).
On mounts that have run dry, the bearing cup can be greased using Autol Top 2000.
Was this article helpful?
The History of Porsche Cars through its generational changes. A must have ebook for any Porsche fanatic, this ebook is a reference book for Porsche enthusiasts. Discover all there is to know about the greatest Porsches ever made. All models are fully described and illustrated providing a definitive production history plus an accurate guide to original specs and equipment.